Skating outdoors can be a lot of fun. Safety is very important when you are heading outdoors. Look in your area for safe parks that allow roller skating and have smooth concrete for a better experience. Once you have found your outdoor area check out some tips for your outdoor skating adventures.
- Make sure you have safety gear. A helmet, wrists guards, elbow pads and knee pads will not only help if you happen to fall, but the safety gear will also help build confidence knowing that something is there to help protect you.
- Using the correct wheels. Most skates are equipped with standard indoor wheels only. They are made for a smooth, clean coated surfaces. The proper outdoor wheel will make a difference in the concrete surface. A softer wheel allows the rough surface to feel a little more smooth. An outdoor wheel will also be less likely to gash, flatten or split like a harder indoor wheel. (It is important to change your outdoor wheels to indoor wheels when you go back to the skating rink. It keeps the skating rink floors clean and the indoor wheels roll easier on a coated floor.
- Don’t forget to bring tools and extra parts. Remember to check all of your equipment before heading outdoors. If you are planning on going a long distance, carry a backpack with some of the necessity tools for your skates. There are all-in-one skate tools available to purchase online and through your local skating rink. Also pack an extra wheel or two and some extra bearings just in case you hit some rough spots and need to change them out.
- Make sure you stay hydrated. Even on the coolest of days it is important to stay hydrated. Bring plenty of water and even a snack if you are planning going a long distance.
- Skate with a partner or group. It is always a good idea to have someone with you while you are on your outdoor journey. You can keep each other company and have someone there in case of an unfortunate incident. Skating outdoors is also a fun activity for families.
We hope the tips above can help your outdoor skating adventures be a great experience.